If you own a Firestick, you’ve probably heard of Kodi – and you might be wondering what it is and what exactly you can if you get Kodi on your Firestick. And the answer is… a lot! Kodi is a free, open-source app that grants access to all sorts of streaming content that might’ve been otherwise unavailable to you.
In this guide, we list the steps you need to follow in order to set up Kodi on a Firestick.
We live in an age where there are more streaming services out there than you could possibly count, and that’s great and all, but it can get expensive managing dozens of subscriptions. Kodi keeps things simple. You’ll be able to check out movies, TV shows, live sports, and more – and a lot of it won’t cost you a penny.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at how to get Kodi setup on your Firestick, as well as some top-notch add-ons you can install. You’ll also want to stay secure whilst using the app – and we’ll cover that, too!
How to install Kodi on a Firestick
You won’t find Kodi in the Amazon Store, which means that it needs to be side-loaded onto your Firestick. Don’t worry if this sounds daunting – it’s really pretty simple.
The following guide is compatible for Kodi 18.9 Leia, and you can follow along to install Kodi on Firestick, Fire TV, and Fire TV Cube.
Preparing your Firestick for Kodi
First things first, you’ll need to prepare your Firestick before you install Kodi. This only takes a few moments and only requires a few clicks!
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select My Fire TV and choose Developer Options.
- Enable ADB debugging.
- Then, enable Apps from unknown sources.
- You’ll want to return to the main Settings menu and click Preferences, then Privacy Settings.
- Toggle off Device Usage Data and Collect App Usage Data.
Installing Kodi via Downloader
Now, your Firestick is all ready to go! You’ll need to install Kodi before you can start a weekend-long movie binge, however, and the easiest way to do this is with the Downloader App. The app installer takes the stress out of setting up Kodi (as well as all sorts of other apps), and you can get it for free on Amazon.
- Navigate to your Firestick’s home screen and select the Search icon.
- Here, type in Downloader and select it from the list.
- Hit the big orange Downloader button!
- Click OK, and your Downloader download will begin.
- Once that’s done, click Open, then Allow, and OK again.
- You’ll be prompted to input a URL, here. There are various options out there, but if you want the official address from the Kodi site, input: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-18.9-Leia-armeabi-v7a.apk
- Hit OK and your Kodi download will begin.
- Wait a moment, then click Install when prompted. You should receive a notification when Kodi has finished installing.
You’re all set! From here, you can select Open to start the Kodi app, or select Done if you’re not quite ready.
Staying secure whilst using Kodi on a Firestick
Every internet enabled device has an IP address, and your Firestick is no exception. Your IP address reveals some pertinent personal information, including your approximate location. This can be a problem for Kodi users, seeing as you won’t want to be caught streaming copyrighted content and slapped with a fine – or worse!
A VPN (or Virtual Private Network) is the ideal solution. You’ll be assigned a new, temporary IP address when you connect to a VPN server, and this means nobody will be able to see what you get up to online. This includes your ISP, government, add-on developers, and other third-parties. You’ll have a secure connection that’s as close to anonymous as it gets.
The best VPNs can also bypass ISP throttling. This is a pesky tactic used by an ISP if they notice you performing a data-intensive task – like streaming, gaming, or torrenting. The ISP will throttle your speeds to balance bandwidth, and you might end up with a buffering video or a drop in quality. A VPN prevents this by encrypting all incoming and outgoing traffic. Your ISP won’t be able to tell what you’re doing – or if you’re streaming – so it won’t know to throttle you!
Check out our Kodi VPN guide for more information about this how a VPN can keep you secure when using Kodi.
Is Kodi legal?
Yes, Kodi is perfectly legal! You can install the app on any compatible device without fear of repercussions. However, similar to a VPN, it’s what you do whilst using Kodi that can be illegal. Streaming copyrighted content can land you with fines, for example. It’s for this reason that we recommend the use of a VPN.
A VPN comes with tons of other benefits, of course, and we've put together an in-depth article covering the best providers to use alongside Firestick. take a look at our Firestick VPN guide for more information about this!
What can I watch with Kodi on Firestick?
A better question might be what can’t you watch with Kodi! The app allows you to check out content from the biggest streaming services out there – Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and hulu to name a few. Whether you’re in the mood for a movie, TV shows, sports, anime, kids shows, or international dramas, you’re bound to find what you’re looking for.
However, the Kodi app is pretty useless by itself. You’ll need to install third-party add-ons in order to check out all that great content. The good news is that there are hundreds of these add-ons available, and the bad news is… well, that there are hundreds of these add-ons available! You might feel spoiled for choice, so we’ve made a couple of suggestions to get you started.
Before you install...
It’s important to remember that Kodi doesn’t develop these add-ons – and neither does Amazon. Use caution, and remember that third-party developers can potentially package malware into their add-ons.
- Exodus Redux – a fast service with a veritable ton of content available in its library. Exodus offers a wide selection of TV shows and films.
- The Magic Dragon – Similar to Exodus, The Magic Dragon has a seemingly endless library of the latest movies and TV boxsets to binge.
- Venom – Venom might not have a great selection of older, more obscure titles, but if you’re into recent releases and blockbuster films, it’s a great option. (You will need a Read Debrid account to use Venom, however)
- Limitless – In addition to TV and film, Limitless has a broad selection of sports to tune into, as well as children’s entertainment and comedy programming.
- CTOON Kodi – CTOON is a one-stop-shop for all things animated; whether that’s cartoons and kid’s classics or the latest in anime, you’ll find it in the add-on’s impressive library. Check out our unblock cartoons guide for more ways to watch your favorite shows.
- The Crew – Another add-on with impressive variety, The Crew lets users peruse films, TV shows, sports, comedy content, and plenty more.
So, there you have it! Kodi is a fantastic service that can open doors to all sorts of content on your Firestick. It only takes a few minutes to set up, and once you have, you can check out the latest TV shows and films, and so much more – think anime, international dramas, and even live sports.
You’ll want to use a VPN alongside Kodi on your Firestick, however, and enjoy seamless streaming without threats to your online security.