Windows 10 Mobile is the latest and first mobile version of Windows that pulls together its desktop, tablet, and phone into a single OS. For this reason, it shares more with its desktop counterpart, but due to this fact not every VPN service will work well on the platform. In this article we have carefully selected the five best VPNs for a Windows phone.
If you're new to VPNs, we can help you get up to speed with our helpful guides:
What are the best VPNs for Windows Phone?
Check out the list below to see what our experts rated as the best VPN For Windows Phone.
- ExpressVPN - The fastest VPN we test, unblocks everything, with amazing service all round
- NordVPN - Large brand with very good value, and a budget price
- CyberGhost - Longtime top ranked VPN, with great price and speeds
- PrivateVPN - One of the cheapest VPNs out there, but still a good service
Why do I need a VPN for Windows Phone?
VPNs are extremely popular and are becoming more widespread by the day. Their ability to provide privacy and security through encryption is promulgating them into the mainstream.
Sadly, the vast majority of those hundreds of services have poor privacy policies, insecure networks, and poorly implemented or outdated encryption protocols. A VPN is supposed to keep you secure, but with so many doing such a lousy job, it can be a real headache having to choose.
The VPNS featured in this guide all provide you with the following benefits:
- Protection from snooping governments and hackers on public WiFi hotspots. For more information, check out our VPNs on public WiFi guide.
- Encrypt your data so ISPs cannot see what you get up to online. You can learn more about VPN encryption by clicking the link.
- Improve your anonymity when torrenting. Find out more with our VPNs for torrenting guide.
- Lets you change your location by ‘spoofing’ your IP address to a remote location
- Ability to bypass censorship and geo-restrictions, for example unblocking BBC iPlayer outside the UK
Windows 10 Mobile VPN Overview and Considerations
Windows 10 Mobile is very similar to the desktop version. It has many of the same features, including the same settings, menus, kernel, UI elements and even built in Cortana functionality. On some newer phones (like the Lumia 950 or 950 XL) it even allows you to plug in an external monitor directly, making the phone behave like a PC.
Sadly for Windows phone users - and despite many requests from them - OpenVPN isn’t available on the Windows 10 Mobile platform. This is a real shame, because OpenVPN is generally regarded as the most secure encryption protocol for internet connections. That means that users are limited to either PPTP or L2TP. Of those two encryption protocols, L2TP/IPSec is by far the best option so please use that one.
Find all you need to know about encryption with our complete guide to VPN encryption.
Windows 10 Mobile VPN set up
Due to the fact that the Windows phone OS is complicated (and a VPN service requires far more integration into an OS than regular desktop apps), VPNs simply haven’t managed to create custom clients for Windows 10 Mobile. The same goes for OpenVPN GUI. For this reason, you will need to manually configure your VPN on a Windows Mobile device.
Manual configuration isn’t particularly tricky. All of the VPNs in this guide have instructions for connecting to their network manually. To help you out, however, we have included a step-by-step guide for you to follow here as well:
How to manually set up your VPN on Windows Phones
Follow the steps below to set your VPN up on a Windows phone:
- Set up a new VPN connection by swiping down on your phone from the top of the screen to reveal the menu. Now click on VPN.
- Once the VPN option menu has opened, click the + icon next to Add a VPN connection.
- Set up an L2TP connection (the most secure one available) by contacting your chosen VPN to get their server address and IPSec pre-shared key.
- Now that you have the details that you need from your VPN provider, go back onto the Add a VPN connection menu and fill in the following details:
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: Select a name of your choice like “MyVPN” or the name of your provider
- Server name or address: The VPN server address provided by your VPN
- VPN type: L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key
- Pre-shared key:IPSec pre-shared key that you got from your VPN provider
- Type of sign-in info: Username and password
- Username: Your VPN username from when you subscribed
- Password: You VPN password from when you subscribed
- Finally, make sure you click on Remember my sign-in info, before clicking on Save.
Windows Phone VPN installation troubleshooting
Sometimes, people do experience a problem with the IPSec pre-shared key. To fix this issue, simply do as follows:
- In the VPN menu select “MyVPN” (or whatever you decided to call your manually configured VPN connection.
- Now click on Properties.
- In the Properties menu click on Edit.
- When the Edit menu opens, re-enter the pre-shared key that you entered while manually setting up the VPN connection. Click Save. This will fix the problem and you will be able to connect to the VPN without issues.
SSTP on Windows Phones
SSTP functionality was added to Windows 10 Mobile. In order to get this working you will need to talk directly with the VPN provider that takes your interest. As far as we know, however, none of the VPN providers have got this functionality up and running just yet.
Here at ProPrivacy.com, we are at the forefront of knowledge about the VPN industry. Being in constant communication with VPN providers and constantly reviewing VPN services from around the world gives us the unique ability to be able to recommend the very best VPN services. We also understand how much of a disappointment it can be to splash out on a VPN, only to be let down because of poor connection speeds. Or even worse, because our trust is being broken and our privacy and security are being put at risk.
With this in mind, this article has been carefully produced so that you can effortlessly access the vital information that you need. So, go ahead and confidently select a VPN for Windows Mobile. Rest assured that any of the options in this list is an absolutely wonderful choice and will give you a superb VPN experience.