A New Zealand VPN is a cheap way to encrypt all your web traffic so that ISPs and the government can’t monitor everything you do online. A VPN for New Zealand also lets you bypass website blocks imposed by ISPs and geo-restrictions that stop people accessing content from overseas. With a VPN, Kiwis get digital privacy and complete freedom of access - to the whole internet.
What is the best VPN for New Zealand?
There are literally hundreds of VPNs on the market which is why choosing a VPN for New Zealand can be tricky.
- CyberGhost VPN - The best New Zealand VPN. Clean apps, OpenVPN encryption, servers in New Zealand, and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN - The best midrange New Zealand VPN. Dedicated stealth servers and coverage in New Zealand! Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN - The best feature-rich New Zealand VPN. A zero-logs service with strong encryption, speedy servers, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Ivacy - The best budget New Zealand VPN. With New Zealand servers, access to Netflix, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN - The best user-friendly New Zealand VPN. Easy to use, even for beginners, with great support. Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Our experts here at ProPrivacy.com have spent the last five years testing, auditing, and reviewing the world’s leading VPNs. That puts us in the unique position of knowing which VPNs have the best features for certain purposes. Here is a brief list of the features we looked for when selecting the best New Zealand VPN services:
- Servers located around the world and in Australia and New Zealand: Ability to connect to servers where you need them lets you access restricted content from around the globe.
- Fast speeds: VPN speeds are important for anyone looking to stream content. By using a VPN for Netflix subscribers can access content from all over the world, including the US version with has thousands more movies and TV shows. All of the services in our best VPN for New Zealand list are fast enough to stream in HD.
- Strong privacy policies: VPNs are only as strong as their data handling policies. Our recommendations all have watertight data practices that ensure there is never any data hanging around on servers that the authorities could get their hands on.
- Apps for all platforms with plenty of top-of-the-range features: These VPNs work on all devices and have all the features you need to protect your privacy at home and on public WiFi
- Value for money: In the VPN industry, the price of a service isn’t always an indication of quality. Some cheaper VPNs are insanely good while some expensive services are mediocre. In this review, we have recommended services that have the best features at a reasonable price.
What is a New Zealand VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an online service that you download onto your devices. The best New Zealand VPNs have apps for all platforms that you can use simultaneously on your phone, tablet, laptops and desktop machines.
As soon as you use the VPN app to connect to a VPN server, all the web traffic coming and going from your machines is encrypted - meaning that nobody can access it. This protects you from hackers when you use public WiFi hotspots. It also stops the government and your ISP from tracking you.
Unblock all restricted content
Many people buy a VPN for privacy. However, the great thing about using a VPN in New Zealand is that you can also use it to conceal your IP address. This stops the websites you visit from knowing where you are - and stops them from tracking you.
It also allows you to pretend to be in a different country to access more content:
- Access geo-restricted services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix US
- Access websites censored by the government or blocked by ISPs
- Access TV streams in Australia or around the world
- Watch geo-restricted sports competitions and pay for foreign streaming pay per views
- Use New Zealand-only restricted website services while you are away on holiday
- Unblock streaming sites like putlockers or download on the pirate bay
Be more secure online with a VPN for New Zealand
Every time that you connect to the internet on public WiFi, you are opening yourself up to hackers. Insecurely setup WiFi hotspots allow cybercriminals to access your data over the public network. This can allow thieves to steal your credentials, passwords, and bank or credit card details. Connecting to public WiFi also opens you up to the threat of evil twin hotspots. These are public WiFi hotspots set up by hackers in places you would expect them to be - designed to fleece you of your data.
The encryption that a VPN provides allows you to use public WiFi without concerns. You can connect to the internet anywhere and thanks to the strong VPN encryption nobody can ever access your traffic, including all your sensitive data.
Protect your data with a cloud backup service
If you want to protect your cloud backup service then you should sign up for a cloud backup service. Check out our New Zealand cloud storage page for a list of the best services and some top tips.
New Zealand VPN conclusion
Whether you want to protect your privacy against government surveillance - or you want to access blocked websites - a VPN for New Zealand is what you need.
New Zealand’s Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) is known to work hand-in-hand with the NSA, and being part of the Five Eyes surveillance agreement is an extreme concern for anybody that values privacy.