Many people living outside of Germany are hugely interested in using German services and websites. In order to gain access to restricted German websites, you need a German IP address. VPNs let you use servers located within Germany, this will give you a German IP address.
On top of that, the VPN client software encrypts all your data as it passes to and from the servers. This means that your ISP, government, landlord or employer can't see what sites you are visiting. Privacy and anonymity while you browse!
Likewise, if you're a German resident on vacation, you may also want to unblock websites back home in Germany. With a reliable VPN service, you can spoof your location to within Germany to unblock all those restricted German websites.
Best VPN for a German IP Address
- ExpressVPN - The fastest VPN we test, unblocks everything, with amazing service all round
- NordVPN - Large brand with very good value, and a budget price
How to get a German IP address
Follow the steps below to set up a German IP address:
- Subscribe to one of the VPNs in this guide. For getting a German IP we highly recommend ExpressVPN , but we have also put four more world-class VPN services in this guide that will also do the job brilliantly.
- Download and install the VPN's client software.
- Connect to a VPN server located in Germany.
- Go to the German website that you want to access.
- Sit back and enjoy unrestricted access to as many German websites as you like, thanks to your newly acquired German IP address.
Having taken a good look through our recommended VPNs for getting a German IP, you will need to click through to your favorite provider's website.
That software is available for all popular platforms, and with ExpressVPN you are allowed to install it on 3 different devices. Paying for your VPN monthly will cost more than paying yearly. For that reason, if you have the funds (and intend on using your VPN throughout the year) it is best to pay for a year at a time.
After subscribing, you will be allowed to download the VPN's client software. The software always downloads very quickly and is easy to install, just make sure you choose the correct download for your platform.
Make sure you have selected OpenVPN protocol
At ProPrivacy we recommend OpenVPN encryption. OpenVPN is a robust VPN encryption protocol that will allow you to stay properly secure, so please select it in your VPN's menu. Streaming some geo-blocked content is illegal because it is in breach of copyright. With OpenVPN, however, even if you choose to view copyrighted material you will be secure - although we clearly cannot condone this.
Also, if you have any trouble at this stage (or any other) your VPN provider will be able to very quickly solve it. The world class VPNs in this guide all have fantastic customer support teams - so contact them (or us here at ProPrivacy.com - we are always happy to help).
At this stage, you will have the client software already installed on your laptop, PC, tablet or smartphone. With OpenVPN selected in the settings, you are ready to VPN into Germany.
All you need to do is select one of the German servers from your VPN's server list. Make sure to select the quickest one available. The faster one is usually situated higher in the list. Now that you have located your preferred German VPN server, click connect. That is it! You now have a German IP address, and can VPN into Germany to appear like you reside there - whenever you want.
With your VPN installed, you can go and visit just about anything online. You can access any site in any place that your VPN has a server - including of course Germany! All of the VPNs we have placed in this guide provide top notch security, privacy, and the best anonymity available. The result is that you will be able to visit any German or other websites you wish.
Simply connect to a server in the country that you want to visit, and the enter the web address you want to visit into your navigation bar. Your VPN will give you the appearance of being in that country - IP address and all.
Considerations for getting a German IP address
When getting a German IP address from overseas you must take some considerations into account.
The most important thing to remember is that many VPN services on the market are highly untrustworthy and unreliable. In total, there are over 800 VPN providers to choose from dotted around the globe. The vast majority of those services are terrible - slow and insecure. In fact, some VPNs can add to your security woes rather than take them away!
How do I know which VPN to choose?
- Firstly, to spoof your IP address to Germany to view geo-restricted content you need to be immensely secure. The sad truth, however, is that not all VPN services offer the encryption and level of service needed for security and privacy.
- To enjoy a relaxing, worry-free VPN experience, you need the peace of mind of knowing that your VPN takes privacy and security very seriously. That is why it should provide industry standard encryption protocols like OpenVPN (recommended) and also handle your data in a transparent, reliable and secure way. The outcome will be a stress-free Internet experience that leaves you safe to visit any German-based content that you are interested in.
VPN into Germany - Conclusion
In this guide, we have explained how anyone can easily get a German IP address. Even though we think the best VPN service for getting an IP address within Germany is ExpressVPN, to be impartial and give you plenty of options we have included four other excellent VPN services.
Whilst ExpressVPN is number one, all of the VPNs in our guide do an incredible job of unblocking German websites. In addition, they all provide a trial period or money back guarantee of some kind. As such, you don't need to be afraid of trying your preferred VPN, risk-free, to make sure it unblocks the German services you are after. Furthermore, all the VPN providers in this article have superb server networks that provide blisteringly high vpn speed throughout your use.